Wednesday, January 14, 2009

T-minus 4 and counting

Hard to believe that I'll be finished the radiation on Monday, January 19th. I originally had Wednesday, January 21st but I guess that was incorrect as a couple of extra days were on the schedule just in case. Great to see that it's Monday instead of Wednesday!!

Time is zooming by. Reminds me of when I was young and my Mom would say that time goes faster the older you get. Of course having the "I know everything already" attitude that kids usually have, I said it won't. Definitely wrong on that one!

Feeling fairly good with the radiation. Fatigue has definitely settled in. Also on a few drugs to help avoid seizures and reduce brain swelling which can cause seizures. The downfall to one of them is insomnia so I'm usually up by 4:30 every morning. Wish it was just due to better "time management". I'm writing this at 4:50 am and have been up for almost an hour.

Meeting with my chemo doctor on February 3rd to finalize the start dates of the chemo and Avastin itself. Will need to take a couple of weeks "off" to let the brain recover from the radiation. I'll be ready to start the day after I finish radiation but I guess I should probably listen to the experts!

I hope that everyone is doing well and enjoying 2009. Hard to believe that January is almost 1/2 over. Wow!

4 comments:

Louise and David said...

Dear Ryan,
Thanks for this early morning update on how you are doing. Hopefully, you are able to doze off a few times during the day to make up for some of your lost sleep. Rest itself brings healing to the body, mind and spirit.

We appreciate knowing that you will soon be finished the radiation part of your treatment regime. We are right with you on the countdown to next Wednesday.

Congratulations on your progress so far. The word "fatigue" conjures up a picture of a deep and pervasive weariness. A couple of weeks of respite after radiation seems like good advice from your doctors.

It sounds as if the February 3rd meeting well set the course for the next phase of your treatment. You will be eager to get started on the chemo and Avastin, and to know what side-effects they are having on you as you fight your way back to good health. Often, the "real thing" is less frightening than the anticipation of what is yet to come. We are confident that you will be able to tolerate all that the team throws at you and that the final results will be good beyond imagining.

We ourselves are well, Ryan. Our Canadian holiday is drawing to a close now and we will be flying back to Scotland on the 19th. No matter where we are in the world, though, we will stay on "Ryan's Path" with you every step of the way.

Sincere well-wishes,
Louise and David

Anonymous said...

Hi did you see in today's Herald-ALberta is reconsidering covering Avastin?

Louise and David said...

Monday it is then, Ryan! The countdown is further along than we thought. Well done!

Anonymous said...

Dear Ryan,

My name is Jessica and I am originally from Calgary. I live in central Texas now and work at a large cancer center where I schedule and coordinate all the appointments for our hematology and oncology patients. The largest part of my job is scheduling all the different varieties of chemotherapy, which can be challenging in and of itself due to the fact that my 7 co-workers and I schedule over 1000 patients each month. I am the first person that the patients see when they come out of the doctors office and it's always a mix of emotions that follow suit. Many just heard the news and are still in tears at my desk, many are rejoicing for the Lord has been good and their cancer is receding, and many are in shock to know that their path has come to an end and go on hospice. Because I see so many, I know so few and many patients are just names to me. I wish I could know them all, but I do my best to help them by finding a way to make their doctors schedules one less thing they have to worry about. Thank you for sharing your story as it is a reminder always that behind every name I schedule there is a story and true raw emotions. I understand the cost of the therapies, Avastin is actually one of the cheaper drugs believe it or not. There is one drug called Interferon that costs $10,000 each treatment and some patients get it 5 days a week for 5-8 weeks. I sincerely hope and pray that God will help you with the medical bills, I see it everyday and know it's hard. Your family and your journey are in my prayers.

All the best for lots of good news this year!,

Jessica Strom