Tuesday, January 20, 2009

All done!

The days of radiation have now officially come to an end!!! Thanks so much to Mark, Joseph, Laura, Shannon, Charlene, Andrea, Samira, Rosie and Junead at Radiation Unit 9 for the great job that they did for me. As much as I will miss seeing them every day, I feel very relieved that this part of the battle is done.

The doctors now want me to focus on recovering from the radiation for a couple of weeks before we take the next steps. I have a CT scan booked for Januray 29th and then we meet with the doctors on February 3rd to discuss when I can start the next stage of treatment.

It almost feels like I get to go on "vacation" until then.

Now on a complety different note; we had a family scare last week when Tasha was feeling off - vertigo, dizziness, lightheadness and slurred speech. Our immediate concern was that her breast cancer was starting to spread to her brain. This has always been an ongoing concern for us. When she went to see her doctor about it, the doctor ordered something that didn't make us feel too good...an urgent CT scan for her head, chest and abdomen.

Thanks to the amazing support of some very special people, they ensured that she got to the tests she needed to go to and that they were done quickly. When she arrived at the diagnostics place, Rick and Lynne recognized her from our story and knew that she needed the results ASAP. Literally 5 minutes after her CT scan was finished, we found out that it was clear! The definition of extreme relief would still be an incredible understatment as to how we felt.

The challenge of having one of us dealing with cancer is one path to follow. The idea of both of us dealing with cancer at the same........I cannot find a definition to how that would be.

I have the thoughts of my cancer "taking me" out in the near future go through my mind every day. I think that's very natural. I've been fighting this on and off for 11 1/2 years but now it's the harshest that it has ever been. I have stepped into the boxing ring before with every intention of winning the fight.

I know now that if Tasha's cancer came back and put us both in this battle and one of us had to give in, the only thing that I would ask for is 5 minutes to say goodbye to her and Talyn before I move on to where we go after life. All that would matter to me is that she lives a long and beautiful life, and raises our amazing son Talyn.

Once again it makes me realize how lucky I am to be with her and Talyn.

Have a great night!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear that Tasha is fine and that you didn't have to go through the stress of waiting for tests and results. What a scary day for you though.

Anonymous said...

We miss you on the unit! Your energy & vibrance & determination are a true inspiration. Glad to hear that Tasha is ok. Talyn is a lucky guy to have such wonderful parents.
Hope all is well with you. Keep strong & positive :)
Namaste