Thursday, May 7, 2009

Passing of a friend

This writing applies to a great man who lived in Gibson / Sechelt in B.C. who has also been fighting brain cancer similar to mine for awhile. I had been in contact with him and his wife via phone and through email regarding the treatments that he was currently going through, and although I have never met them face to face, my respect for him along with his wife and family is indescribable.

He passed away unexpectadly during sleep on April 22nd. I cannot even begin to imagine the impact on the family and how hard this would be. They are around the same age as Tasha and I and have 2 young children.

All that I know is that there is a battle out there that needs to be won and that I will do everything I possibly can to fight this war. I have always believed in peace and do my best to work out altercations, however the anger that I have inside of me regarding this challenge has only grown much stronger.

Why is it that we as brilliant humans need situations like this for us to realize the blessing we have to exist in the first place? As I have mentioned before, I did not have the respect for life before or after my initial diagnosis in 1997. It wasn't until I was told that if my situation isn't taken care off ASAP, I would not be living by the end of 2009. It finally made me realize how lucky I am to even exist.

My thoughts and love goes to this family. Please find attached their website if you are interested in learning more about them. www.caringbridge.org/visit/eliasminatsis

2 comments:

Bob Cotter said...

Thank you for your posting, Ryan. Elias is my son-in-law and Chelsea is so saddened by the loss.

I have been following your blog for quite some time now and continue to pray for you to successfully complete this battle.

Natalie and Jamie Powell said...

Thank you for introducing me to this wonderful family. My heart is aching for Chelsea and the kids upon reading her last entry.
I love that you are going to fight the fight!